Honey Grove Preservation League

Saving and Documenting the History of Honey Grove, Texas


905 North 8th Street


Photo and text from the book Historic Homes, Buildings & Locations of Honey Grove, Texas.


The historic photo of 905 North 8th Street below, built by T. C. Provine, is from Honey Grove, The City Beautiful.

801 North 8th Street


John Pierce, a prominent banker, merchant and landowner built this house in 1895.  Mr. Pierce died in 1934.  In 1935, Dr. and Mrs. M. E. Daniel bought the house, and Dr. Daniel lived there until his death in 1936.  His wife, Olivia Daniel lived there until her death in 1963.  She left the house to her daughter, Eugenia Meili.  She sold the house to Dr. and Mrs. Ralph Marcom in 1964.

1002 North 8th Street


Photo and text from the book Historic Homes, Buildings & Locations of Honey Grove, Texas.

901 North 8th Street


Photo and text from the book Historic Homes, Buildings & Locations of Honey Grove, Texas.

808 North 8th Street


This Queen Anne cottage was built in 1890 by William H. Gross, a prominent attorney in Honey Grove and the first city attorney in Honey Grove.


The house was sold in 1905 to Samuel Dial, a prosperous merchant in Honey Grove.



8th Street Historic Homes

903 N. 8th Street


Warren Smith, manager of Lyon-Gray Lumber Company at that time, purchased the lot for this house from the Provine Estate in 1923.  He selected lumber for three years to build his home.  The house was completed in 1926.  Eleven months after completion, Mr. SMith was transferred to Cleburn.  At that time, Lon Bates purchased the property.


The Fall of 1927, Mr. and Mrs. Bates, Aubrey and Raymond moved in.  The "boys" grew up and moved away.  Since Mr. and Mrs. Bates' death, the Rayond Bates family have occupied the house. 

1005 North 8th Street


This house was built in 1909 by William Stewart for his wife Mary Ellen Galbraith Stewart after the death of their son, Willard Stewart.