Interesting Stories and Events in Honey Grove’s Early History
Honey Grove Signal-Citizen, January 14, 1938
Written by H.P. Allen, assisted by W. J. Erwin
William A. Dial was born December 11, 1851, in Forsyth County, Ga., but was partly raised in Bledsoe County, Tenn. In 1849 he went overland to California in search of gold. The trip was hard and laborious, beside the dangers from hostile Indians, but he arrived at his destination safely. Some time was consumed in prospecting before finding a location that gave promise of rewarding him for his labor. He with a partner obtained a tent and such tools as they needed, and went to work digging the precious metal. After about a year, he decided to go home, and they washed out and cleaned up all gold dust and nuggets they had, and carefully weighed and divided it, he putting his in a leather bag. When they got ready to retire for the night, he placed the bag under the head of his bed. The next morning he began to prepare for the start home, and found that his bag of gold was missing. The tent had been closed all the time, with no one but his partner with him. He could not and would not believe that the partner who had worked so faithfully with him was guilty, and went to work with him again to make enough to take him home. He accomplished this, going by way of the Isthmus of Panama, long before the canal was built. A few years before he passed away, the writer was with him at a health resort in Colorado, and while sitting high upon a mountain side he related the above experience to the writer.
After returning to his Tennessee home, he married in September, 1852, and in 1854 he came to Texas and settled about three and one-half miles southeast of Honey Grove near the Lamar county line. Some time later he sold that place and bought land where the village of Dial is located. He worked and prospered, had energy enough for two men, his business sagacity was fine, and his promises were sacredly fulfilled. He was an excellent Christian gentleman. He passed away in June, 1915. His children living are Mrs. Corbit, Mrs. Nannie Vaughn, Miss Ella Dial, Sam, Walter and William Dial.
In 1842, Enos Hobbs and his son, John, and daughter, who married a man whose name was Wood, came from Illinois to Texas, settling near what is the village of Noble, 7 miles southeast of Honey Grove, where they all spent the balance of their lives. John married Miss Sallie Cheatham, member of a Kentucky family. They reared two daughters, Annie and Lucy. All have passed away.
Thomas Hobbs, another son of Enos Hobbs, came in 1844 from Springfield, Illinois to Texas, and bought land two and one-half miles southeast of Honey Grove. He built a log cabin for his family, and opened up a farm and engaged in stock farming.
The Hobbs men were upstanding, good citizens, peace loving and law abiding. The children were five sons and daughters. All but one, Ben Hobbs, and one daughter, Mrs. McBee, have passed away. A granddaughter still owns part of the old homestead.
Mr. Hobbs passed away in 1885, his wife preceding him five years.
L. W. Yeager came to Texas about 1850 from Alabama. We do not know whether he came direct to Honey Grove or from Red River county. His wife was, before her marriage, a Miss Bagby, sister to Mrs. Amanda Bagby Walcott and Mrs. W. Underwood. About 1854 he came to Honey Grove, built a home in town and a store house on the north side of the square and engaged in the grocery business. Soon a fatal form of typhoid fever took off his wife and a grown daughter, causing him to go out of business, and soon he died. His children were John, Docia, Tom, Ballard, Bob and a young daughter who married Joe Ben Whittenberg.
C. M. Yeager came from Alabama in 1856 and settled a few miles southwest of Honey Grove. His son, C. M. Yeager, has lived all his life in and about Honey Grove and is noted as an upstanding Christian man. Another of the three brothers who came in 1850 was Callie Yeager, but we have no data concerning his life.
The McCraw family came early from Kentucky and settled three or four miles southwest of Honey Grove. We cannot tell much of this old family, as we were only acquainted with William, who served in Company F (Nicholson’s Company) in the Eleventh Texas Cavalry, and Mrs. James Word, who was born at Bowling Green, Ky., Feb. 8, 1844, coming to Texas with her father’s family in 1846. Miss Katie was married to James Word March 10, 1866. Mr. Word was an industrious, Christian man, believed in educating his children to the very best of his ability, and trained them well in Christian living. One of his granddaughters is now organist at the Presbyterian Church in Honey Grove. Mr. Word was born at Cumberland Gap, Tenn., June 3, 1843; died July 13, 1916. Mrs. Word died July 11, 1926.
Dr. W. E. Dailey came from Central Kentucky about 1856 and settled on a farm 3 miles south of Honey Grove, known as the Drenan farm, which he purchased from Mr. Drenan. He entered the practice of his profession at once, and was found to be a successful practitioner and a useful citizen. His family consisted of two daughters and four sons. Mary, the eldest daughter, married John Blaine, a Kentuckian; the younger daughter, Miss Puss, married Will Gilmer in 1862, while he was home on furlough, he being a member of Company F (Nicholson) in the Texas Cavalry Confederates States service. While at home his regiment was ordered east of the Mississippi river, leaving a number of others on sick leave or furlough, and after some weeks they were ordered to assemble at Moore's Spring, near Paris, and prepare to join their regiment on the east side of the river, and while on that long march Will was taken sick at or near Jackson, Miss., and died.
The sons of Dr. Dailey were Ed, Oscar, George and Charles. Ed made a physician, married Miss Jennie Ballinger. They made their home in Paris, where Ed died. They reared a family, but we are not posted as to any except Will, who is a lawyer. Oscar died in the Confederate Army. George, who married Virginia Woodson, spent most of his adult life in the drug business in Honey Grove. They reared one daughter. Charles Dailey was a lawyer, who died in San Angelo. Dr. Dailey practiced medicine many years in and around Honey Grove. At an advanced age he married the widow of Captain Davison. They reared one son, Fred, who lives at Houston. After retiring from the practice of medicine he served as justice of the peace one or two terms.
Typed by: Haley Rater and Malinda Allison