Among others who came early was Obediah Nix, with his wife and four or five sons. Three of them, Jasper, William, and Frank, were married and had families. Manon was not grown and finished his education in the Honey Grove schools. The father and three of the sons acquired land and built homes west and northwest from a mile to one and a half miles from the square. Mr. Nix and his wife at once became members of the Baptist church, and were devout Christians. He became noted for the spiritual power in his prayers. They were so charged with the spirit of faith and humility that they would warm and gladden the hearts of most all who heard him. His good wife, Aunt Vicey as she was called, was noted for her good deeds. They passed away at an advanced age, and are sleeping in Oakwood. The sons with their families moved away, Manon alone remaining in Honey Grove. When the war came he enlisted in Confederate service and after the war was over, came back to Honey Grove and married Miss Ellen Lovell. She was a sister to Mrs. Lucy Compton, who lives in Honey Grove at this time.
When Oklahoma was opened Mr. Nix made a successful run and secured a block in Oklahoma City, which proved to be very valuable. Being a carpenter, he went to work as a contractor and builder, and done well. He died two years ago at the age of 90 years, but was blind. His wife preceded him in death a few years.
Another early settler was Ballard Bagby and his wife, Amanda Bagby, who settled about three and one-half miles south of Honey Grove. The Bagby families were from Alabama, coming to Texas and locating in Red River county, but we can find no data to show whether this family came directly to Honey Grove from Alabama or Red River county. They were excellent people and possessed considerable property, in land, stock, and negroes, and was one of the few men who engaged in cotton growing and had a gin on his own farm. Some time during the Civil War Mr. Bagby died. Having no children of their own, they were rearing four of other people’s children, whose lives had been entrusted to their kindly care and keeping, two of them being sisters- Cordy and Arreta Grisham; a boy whose name was Jo Button, and young child whose name was James H. Robnett. All four were reared, educated reasonably well, and each given land and other things of value. Jo Button served at postmaster a while, but resigned to enter the Confederate Army, but soon died. J. H. Robnett made a useful citizen and about the best cotton buyer Honey Grove ever had. A few years after Mr. Bagby died, his noble widow married B. S. Walcott, Mr. Walcott’s former wife having passed away some years before, and after Mr. Walcott’s passing she made her home with her sister, Mrs. W. Underwood. At an advanced age her useful and helpful life came to an end, and she sleeps peacefully in Oakwood.
Another old settler was W. M. Wright (Uncle Newt), who was born near Huntsville, Ala., July 2, 1830. He came to Texas in 1850, and settled first at Allens Point, near Meade Springs, about four miles north of Honey Grove, where he was living when first we knew him. Some years later he established a permanent home about one mile west of the village of Selfs, where he spent the balance of his life. He was of the type of early settlers noted for their rugged honesty, a peace loving neighbor, whose good deeds helped to make his neighborhood a better place in which to live. He took his departure from this life Sept. 11, 1909. At his request he was buried in the shade of the trees at his old home. His grandchildren live in the neighborhood and are excellent citizens.
Wylie Hulsey was born in Tennessee in 1818. Came to Honey Grove in 1852, settled three miles west of town, building the house before the Civil War that we know as the Wheeler home, he having sold it to Peyton Wheeler soon after the war. He was an energetic business man, educated his children in the Honey Grove schools. The writer was in school with his three oldest children - William, Joel and the oldest daughter. William married Martha Ann Lee. She died, leaving a daughter. John Parrish married that daughter, who died, leaving a son and a daughter. Just here our knowledge of the Hulsey family ends. We know, however, there were other children.
David Logan Davidson came to Honey Grove in 1857 from Stanford, Lincoln County, Ky. He and his faithful negro servant, Berry Hocker, made the journey by horseback. Later he met and married Miss Ann Boumar Murrell from Columbus, Adair County, Ky. They built their home on what is now the southeast corner of East Main and 14th Streets. At that time not a building between this location and the square. Mr. Davidson enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861, served with distinction, and made the supreme sacrifice while leading his company, Company C, in Moulton's Division, Polignac Brigade, Merrick's Battalion, in the battle of Mansfield, La., April 8, 1864. Capt. Davidson was buried in the Mansfield cemetery by his kinsman John L. Ballinger, and his friends, Joe Smith and Bill Anderson, all from Honey Grove, and near their captain during the battle. His grave is marked. They found his furlough in his pocket. He could have been at home, but knowing the battle was pending, remained at his post. After the war the faithful ex-slave, Berry Hocker, remained with his former young mistress' family, contributing his earnings to their support. Later he returned to Kentucky, then to Chicago, where he became wealthy. When the Confederate Camp was organized in Honey Grove it was named "Logan Davidson Camp," a beautiful tribute to one of their comrades.
Typed by: Hailey Rader and Malinda Allison
Interesting Stories and Events In Honey Grove’s Early History
Honey Grove Signal-Citizen, January 7, 1938
Written by H. P. Allen, assisted by W. J. Erwin