Authentic History of City of Honey Grove
Signal-Citizen, October 15, 1937
Co-operating First History of Honey Grove, Commencing in 1836 and Written by James Gilmer,
Who Settled Here in 1845, and Compiled to 1883.
From This Date H. P. Allen, Honey Grove, Has Taken Up the History
and Is Compiling It Until the Present Date,
Assisted by W. J. Erwin of Honey Grove
Business Interests – Continued
W.C. Scott, grocer. Began business here in August ’81. Keeps a well selected stock of standard and fancy groceries and a general line of provisions, candles, nuts, etc. Located on the east side of the square.
Burgher & Stephens, machinery and agricultural implements; began business in 1873; carry a heavy line of all articles belonging to the business. They deal in engines, wagons, buggies, plows, fencing wire, etc.
T. R. Yarbrough, general merchandise. Began business here in 1866, and in the oldest house continuing here without change. He keeps a large and varied stock of dry goods; also handles agricultural implements, bagging, and ties.
Campbell and Gambill, hardware. Began business in September ’82, as successors to Sanders & Ingram. Deal largely in heavy and light hardware cutlery, etc. The amount of stock on hand, $10,000.
Jas. P. Pierce, dry goods; E. F. Wortham, Geo. F. Kane, managers. Began business in February, ’83. Keeps in stock the varied lines of dry goods, ready-made and furnishing goods.
E. F. Wortham, confectioner. Began business in January, ’82. Does both a wholesale and retail business in his line. Deals also in ice, with cream parlor, etc.
Charles Lewis, saloon; a good bar and well supplied with all articles in the business of a liquor dealer. In the room are two handsome billiard tables for the accommodation for those fond of the sport; business opened in May of ’83; located on east side of the square.
Wood Bros., general merchandise. Began business in January of ’81. Deal in all kinds of dry goods, furnishing goods and a special line of millinery. East side of public square.
J. P. Pierce & Son, grocers. This firm was established in 1878. Does a wholesale and large retail business. Keeps regularly on hand a full stock for the provision and grocery market – all lines represented. Capital invested, $15,000.
J. M. McKinstry, druggist; began business in July ’83, as successor to W. T. Booth. He keeps a full stock of all lines of goods connected with the trade. Located on the east side of the square.
Boswell and Draper, saloon. A bar well stocked with all kinds of liquor; keg beer on ice, billiard tables, etc.
Mrs. Mouser, restaurant. Began business in May ’83. Keeps boarders by the day or month.
Mrs. N. Reed, restaurant. Began business in May ’78; Proprietor of Home Restaurant; keeps boarders only, by day or month.
J. B. Pirtle, grocer. Opened up business at present stand in November ’82; carries a general stock of groceries standard and fancy, provisions, tobacco, etc. South Sixth Street.
W. J. Thompson, painter and paper hanger – does house or other painting in good style and on short notice; makes paper hanging a specialty of his business. All orders promptly attended to.
C. B. Banks, boot and shoe maker; began in the city in August of ’82; well prepared to satisfy all customers.
J. B. Ryan, druggist; began in December of ’77 as partner in the firm of Ryan & Ingram, and succeeded to the business in his own name in August of ’80. Keeps a large stock of drugs and medicines, besides a varied assortment of articles usually kept by druggists.
J. B. McKee, dry goods; has been doing business in his own name since 1870; keeps a fine stock of everything in the dry goods line, besides the standard groceries. On south side of public square.
Gwaltney Bros. & Erwin, hardware. This firm dates from January ’82. They handle a general line of hardware, light and heavy; cutlery and agricultural implements, improved wagons, etc.
W. Underwood, general merchandise; began business as a member of a member of the firm of W. Underwood & Co. in ’69. In ’74 he succeeded in
business in his individual name, and has been alone since; deals in all lines of dry goods, with a stock of standard groceries.
Pickens & Allen, furniture and undertaking. This firm began business on the west side of the square in September of ’82. They keep an elegant and full line of
furniture and upholstery, with a good stock of undertakers’ materials.
Smith Hotel, T. M. Counter, proprietor; hotel built in 1856; keeps boarders and lodgers by day or month – east side of public square.
Galbraith & Gwaltney Bros. planing mill; established in 1879; do all kinds of sawing, ripping, turning, scroll work, planing and scroll work and ornamental work in wood – a thriving and necessary industry to the city. J. L. Herd, manager of the mill.
S. M. Williamson, wood work; began in February ’83. repairs buggies, wagons, machines and does all kinds of wood work. Located on South
W. N. Allen, blacksmith and wagon maker; began business in May of ’79; manufactures and repairs wagons, buggies and plows, and does all work in blacksmith line.
Rorer Burnitt, painter and paper hanger; began business with Baushausen in 1878, and in ’80 assumed control of the business in his own name.
Paints houses and signs, does ornamental wood work and hangs paper; office on South Fifth Street.
R. C. Bryan, livery stable; began business in June, 1879; keeps good saddle horses and has always ready on demand a full supply of teams and vehicles for any purpose. Convenient to depot.
J. T. Burgher & Co., lumber and grain dealers; began in June 1883 as successors to the firm of D. T. Taylor and company; deal largely in shipping hay and grain.
H. S. Williams, wagon and carriage work; began business in ’72; does all kinds of making and repairing in wood work.
F. M. Gifford, blacksmith; on South Sixth Street; began in November, 1880; does horseshoeing and all kinds of blacksmithing.
Gwaltney & Bro., lumber and grain; dealers and shippers in lumber and grain; began the business in this firm name in ’80 as successors to Long and Gwaltney.
A.H. Smith, livery stable; began the business in 1867; keeps good horses and buggies always ready for customers. Stable on Main Street west of the square.
ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE CITY
Crowson Mill, built in 1878; is thoroughly prepared for grinding both wheat and corn and for ginning cotton. The mill is supplied with necessary machinery and is largely patronized by the surrounding country.
Citizens’ Mill, R. Mouldin owner; built in ’82 and ’83 and situated on East Railroad Street; is prepared to grind and shell corn, grind wheat and gin cotton.
Wilson & Walcott, gin and mill; built in ’80; situated in the north part of town; does sawing, ginning and corn grinding.
Dailey mill, the property of Dr. W. E. Dailey; located on West Main Street; built in ’81; grinds both wheat and corn and gins cotton. Will Evans manager
Honey Grove is situated on a gentle prairie elevation with timber skirting within the limits. The soil is of the kind known as black waxy, rich and productive. In the surrounding country is grown corn, cotton, wheat, oats, millet, barley, sorghum, fruits of all kinds, grapes, berries, and almost every vegetable known to both temperate and torrid zones; all of which can be and are raised in abundance.
The climate is rarely rigorous, either by heat or cold, but maintains a very desirable temperature , modified within bearable degrees by gradual change of seasons. Owing to this, and to the absence of fatal malaria, the people are healthy and vigorous. No case of consumption was never known to originate primarily on the
black waxy soil, and the ordinary diseases are not so frequent or general.