Authentic History of City of Honey Grove
Signal-Citizen, October 8, 1937
Co-operating First History of Honey Grove, Commencing in 1836 and Written by James Gilmer,
Who Settled Here in 1845, and Compiled to 1883.
From This Date H. P. Allen, Honey Grove, Has Taken Up the History
and Is Compiling It Until the Present Date,
Assisted by W. J. Erwin of Honey Grove
The city cemetery, badly laid off in the beginning, and long neglected, has recently been vastly improved in appearance by fencing, and other work done by the city. An addition to the original grounds is planned with mathematical correctness, and an attentive sexton employed to guard, improve the grounds and keep things in order and repair.
A joint stock in company was formed here in July ’83 for the purpose of establishing a telephone from Honey Grove to Ladonia, a distance of 12 miles; capital stock, $1000. Bids for construction of the line are now ready for approval, and the line is to be built during September. Estimated cost of this line, $600. G. A. Dailey, president; T. U. Cole, treasurer.
Wishing to improve the roads leading into the city in order to facilitate trade and induce distant custom, the business men of Honey Grove employed competent workmen to ditch, grade and bridge the roads outside the corporation. The work reaches a fair distance in several directions, and is done in splendid style. The money spent in this enterprise already amounts to $865.50; And the work is still going on.
This is a beautiful light colored stone, tough, durable, easily worked, and has no perceptible grit. These quarries have been worked, and the stone used in some degree ever since the settlement of the country. In ’74 it was first used as building material in the construction of houses, since which time it has grown rapidly in popular favor. Our best buildings are now built of this stone, and as building material it is acquiring a State reputation. Messrs. Floyd owners are shipping the stone to various portions of the State to be used in public buildings, the last contract being for 40 car loads to be used in the construction of the Dallas Exchange. The quarries lie three miles south of the city.
Honey Grove can safely boast of the most proficient amateur cornet band in the State, with the following member: P. C. Cox, leader and director; G. f. Stanfield, A. N. Kindsworthy, Willet Barnum, J. E. Breckeen, W. J. Erwin, George Larrison, J. T. Burgher, Lem Ryan, R. A. Miller, R. Piner, W. Fuqua, and Rorer Burnitt. The band was organized January 1, 1882.
The secret and benevolent orders are represented as follows:Masonic Lodge, Chapter, Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, and Legion of Honor.
J. P. Pierce & Son have established a platform just south of depot for the purpose of weighing and storing cotton, 80 by 116 feet, at a cost of $1000. Built this summer for the coming trade.
Our Professional Men
Honey Grove is represented professionally as follows:
Education—J. S. Kendall, Walcott Institute; Dr. W. A. Wilburn, Honey Grove High School
Law—G. A. Carptenter, G. W. Wells, J. U. Owen, W. H. Gross, T. A. Barron.
Judicial—W. H. Lemons, justice of peace; W. M. Smith, constable; Lewis N. Hornbeck, mayo; L. C. LaMaster, marshal.
Theology—D. F. Fuller, Methodist; R. W. Benge, Cumberland Presbyterian; Dupree (colored) Baptist.
Carpenters—The men now following the trade regularly are: J. M. Williams, Joe Smith, B. F. Yarbrough, R. A. Rose, Boon & Bro., B. H. Myers, J. L. Orr, T. R. Beard, J. W. Magill.
Physician—S. E. Bramlette, graduate of Louisville Medical College, with ad eundem degree from Missouri Medical College; W. T. Booth, graduate of Louisville University; V. A. Howett, graduate of Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa; Joseph Meyer, graduate of University of Pennsylvania; recently a member of American Public Health Association; W. E. Dailey, Sr., graduate of Medical University of Virginia; William Gambill, the oldest resident physician in the county; E. C. Eversole, dentist, graduate of Baltimore Dental College.
At present the city of Honey Grove is represented by the following briefly described business interest:
J.H. Robnett, dry goods. Commenced business as the “company” in the firm of B. O. Walcott & Co., January ’79; succeeded to the business in his own name in January ’83. Keeps in stock a heavy line of dry goods and millinery goods. Located in Walcott block.
B. F. Barnum, furniture and undertaking; also sewing machines. He opened his business in the Walcott building in ’77 and was burned out in November that year. After the house was rebuilt he returned to the Walcott block in ’78, where he now does business. He keeps a large and assorted stock.
Hays & Lane, saddler and harness. Began business in November of ’82. Keep in stock a full line of saddles, all kinds of harness, with competent workmen at the bench. Located on west side of square.
Ballinger Bros., grocers. Began in 1881. Keep a general line of staple and fancy groceries. Stock on hand to amount of $2000. Located on northwest corner of the public square.
Beeson & Hutton, grocers. Began in July ’81. Carry a full stock of standard and fancy groceries, canned goods etc. Located on north side of square.
G. A. Dailey, druggist. Began business in ’68. He keeps in stock a fine quality of whatever the customer requires at the hand of a druggist. A full stock of fine drugs and medicines.
Geo. F. Stanfield, grocer. Mr. Stanfield has been in business in the city for many years and began the business of grocer in January of 1881. He does a wholesale as well as retail business in all lines of that trade. Deals largely in provisions and the standard groceries, such as flour, tobacco, cigars, queensware, clock and light hardware. Stock to amount of $8000.
J. A. Lyons, saddler; J. B. Barnett agent. This house began business in ’78. They carry a well selected stock of material and ready made goods in the harness and saddle line. Mr. Lyons is successor to the old firm of Barnett & Hale.
Mrs. Stobaugh & Sister, millinery and dress making. Began in May ’83. Keep in stock bonnets, hats, ribbons, plumes, hair goods, and a full line of ladies’ furnishing and fancy goods.
City Meat Market, J. H. Speaker, proprietor. Has been supplying the town with fresh beef, mutton and pork for a number of years, and at present has no opposition in the business.
E. M. Marschall, photographer and news dealer. Began business in November of ’76. Takes pictures in any style to suit the taste. Keeps latest papers, serials, periodicals, and such literature.
Mrs. Mary Ford, dress cutting and teaching. An experienced dress cutter herself, she teaches the art to those applying for instruction. Also agent for a new sewing machine, the Leader.
George Larrison, family grocer. Dealer in all kinds of standard and fancy groceries, tobacco, etc.; been in the business since 1880. Located on east side of the square.
L. H. Harral, grocer. Began business in November ’82, in the old Stapp building. Is well stocked with a heavy line of groceries; also provisions, canned goods, tobacco and cigars. Keeps ice and ice cream parlor.
J. J. Nesbitt, general merchandise. Deals largely in all lines of dry goods, furnishing goods, and standard groceries. Began business here in ’73 as partner in the firm of Wilkins & Nesbitt. Dissolved in August ’81. Is now doing business in his own name.
W. D. Wilkins, general merchandise. Began business in ‘73 as partner in the firm of Wilkins & Nesbitt. Dissolved in August ’81, since which time he has been alone in the business. Large stock, varied lines.
Typed by: Emily Ashcraft