May 28, 2017 Read about Honey Grove in the Bonham News Annual 1888.
May 10, 2017 See a collection of beautiful fans from funeral homes in Honey Grove.
April 13, 2017 Read a second article about Slang Jang.
March 27, 2017 Read about Honey Grove's famous dish, Slang Jang.
February 12, 2017 Read a very long article about Honey Grove published in the Dallas Morning News on May 20, 1887
January 8, 2017 Read about the Rock Point Methodist Church.
January 7, 2017 More Facts About David Crockett's Route.
January 7, 2017 Read about the Honey Grove Bottling Works.
January 6, 2017 When was the first talking movie in Honey Grove?
January 5, 2017 Read about the David Crockett Bee Tree.
December 31, 2016 Read a history of the McCraw's Chapel Methodist Church.
December 30, 2016 See photos of the Rock Hill School, located three miles southwest of Petty.
December 29, 2016 See the 1844 Erwin Survey for land "near the Honey Grove."
December 28, 2016 Learn about Crockett Park and its Swimming Pool.
December 26, 2016 We have added a photo of the Windom seniors of 1936 (bottom of page).
December 24, 2016 Read the history of Honey Grove that was published in the Signal-Citizen in 1997.
December 23, 2016 Read a history of the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen (go to the bottom of the page).
December 23, 2016 Read an article about the people in the history of "Old Bob." Go to the very bottom of the page.
December 22, 2016 See a list of "boys called to the colors" in World War I in the first draft.
December 9, 2016. We have added a detailed history of the First National Bank.
December 5, 2016. See photos of old service stations.
December 4, 2016. See a photo of the Jess A. Smith grocery from 1936. (bottom of page)
December 3, 2016. We have added a list of the Honey Grove Postmasters.
November 19, 2016. The 1953 Honey Grove, Ladonia and Wolfe City phone book has been added to the Directories page.
June 17, 2016 See old county maps showing Honey Grove, with the earliest found so far from 1846.
May 23, 2016. See a new photo of the Santa Fe depot.
March 24, 2016 Listen to an oral interview with Willie Clark who discussed, among many of things, the Floyd Quarry.
March 19, 2016 Listen to an oral interview with Harry Thompson.
February 16, 2016 A new article about the Bralley School has been added. See the very bottom of the page.
February 15, 2016. New photographs of the Allens Chapel School have been added.
February 13, 2016 We have added a photo of the Lone Star School, near Allens Chapel, from 1910-1912.
February 4, 2016 Read an article about the history of Honey Grove written in 2004.
January 8, 2016 Read a new article about the history of Honey Grove's Masonic Lodge.
December 6, 2015 We are adding yearbooks for North Fannin and Sam Rayburn High School. See Item 19 on the Education page.
November 11, 2015 Read about the beginning of Crockett Park in 1919.
October 5, 2015 We added the Honey Grove, Ladonia and Wolfe City telephone directory for 1960.
September 15, 2015 We added the Windom yearbook for 1948.
September 2, 2015 Read about a Ku Klux Klan parade in Honey Grove in 1923 with at least 5,000 watching.
August 13, 2015 In the spring of 1907 Cole Younger was in Fannin County for the funeral of Major B. F. Hays and he also presented the Cole Younger & Nichols Theater Amusements Co. in Bonham, Honey Grove and Ladonia. There were several articles in the Honey Grove Signal of 1907 about his visit. Fascinating reading!
August 9, 2015 After a review of the 1918 Honey Grove Signal, we hope we have identified all the the young men from Honey Grove and the eastern part of Fannin County who died in service in World War I. Four died in action or of wounds received in action and seven died as a result of contracting influenza in crowded barracks on on ships on the way to Europe. We are fortunate to have photos of most of them. Click on the names in red for more information.
July 23, 2015 The Honey Grove Preservation League, with a generous grant from the Hall-Voyer Foundation, has been working with the Portal to Texas History to put old Honey Grove newspapers online. The older Honey Grove Signals were provided for scanning by Walcott Black and later issues of the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen were uploaded from microfilm provided by the Bertha Voyer Memorial Library.
Although the project is not complete, there are now 1,248 issues of the weekly newspaper online and searchable, from 1893. We don't have every year, or every issue for a year, but the wealth of information in staggering, not only for Honey Grove but for the eastern part of the county, for Bonham, and even for Paris. If your ancestor fell off his porch it was probably reported in the paper, and certainly if his favorite old mule died.
There are lengthy articles about weddings and parties. And much history about agriculture and the cotton business in Fannin County. We are reviewing each issue and adding obituaries for cemeteries in Fannin County, including Oakwood, Allens Point, Dial, Smyrna, McCraws Chapel and others to txfannin.org.
This is truly a treasure, and easily searchable.
June 24, 2015 Fifteen more years of Honey Grove Baptist Church minutes have been added, 1895-1909.
May 31, 2015 The Honey Grove Baptist Church conference minutes for 1890-1894 have been added.
May 28, 2015 A transcription of the names in the 1885-1893 Membership Directory of the First Baptist Church has been added.
May 25, 2015 We have added the 1908-1918 Membership Directory for the First Baptist Church in Honey Grove. A really treasure of information.
May 22, 2015 We have added the 1894-1908 Membership Directory for the First Baptist Church in Honey Grove. Really lots of valuable information. How about Daisy Brigance getting expelled for dancing!
May 21, 2015 We have a new historical photo of the South Side of the Square.
May 20, 2015 We have obtained a really cute photo of the 1932-33 Rhythm Band.
May 19, 2015 Thanks to Bob Lane for a new photo of the Allens Point School.
May 18, 2015 See a great photo of a cotton field obtained from Bob Lane.
May 17, 2015 A list of Windom High School graduates from 1917-1948 has been added.
May 16, 2015. Photos and articles on the Windom Classes of the 1930s have been added.
May 15, 2015 We have added the 1885-1889 Conference Minutes for the First Baptist Church in Honey Grove. They can be accessed HERE.
May 3, 2015 We have scanned Our Town, Windom, Texas which was published in 1972 and contains information on families who lived in Windom.
April 23, 2015 New early photos of the Windom schools have been added to the GenWeb site.
April 22, 2015 We have added a page for the Eastland Baptist Church in Honey Grove, now the 16th Street Baptist Church, with wonderful photos.
April 21, 2015 We have added two more yearbooks for Bailey, 1962 and 1963.
April 6, 2015 We have added information on the Windom Baptist Church.
April 4, 2015 We have added information about the Christian Church of Windom.
April 2, 2015 We have added Gober yearbooks for 1946-1951 and 1955-56. They can be accessed at the bottom of our Education page. More Gober yearbooks are being scanned and will be available in a month or two.
March 25, 2015 Thanks to Jerry Allen for providing the 1952 yearbook for Telephone, Texas. Does anyone have another yearbook for Telephone? Or old photos of Telephone?
March 4, 2015 We are beginning to add the old Honey Grove court documents.
February 28, 2015 We have added four more years of the Dodd City yearbooks, 1991-1994. They can be accessed from our Education page.
February 23, 2015 We have added another volume of the Honey Grove city records, this time the City Council minute book for 1921-1940 (557 pages!). While not as immediately exciting as a new photo or yearbook, the effort to scan the old Honey Grove city records is a goal of the Preservation League, and we are making great progress toward that goal. The city records are accesible from the Government page.
February 21, 2015 We have added five more years of Dodd City yearbooks, 1986-1990. They can be accessed through our Education page.
February 18, 2015 See the monument to Old Bob, the train that ran between Honey Grove and Ladonia.
February 12, 2015 We developing information on Clark High, the former black school in Ladonia. See what we have developed so far HERE.
February 7, 2015 The Preservation League was a proud sponsor of the Black History Celebration in Bonham on February 6 at the Creative Arts Center. Read about this celebration and see the booklet distributed at the celebration.
January 9, 2015 See the book Historic Homes, Buildings & Locations of Honey Grove, Texas published by the Friends of the Bertha Voyer Memorial Library in 2007. Information on additional historic and buildings is HERE.
January 8, 2015 Thanks to Cindy Penn for providing the beautiful color photos of the Honey Grove High School 1950s reunion held in October 2014. You can view the photos for each class from the Education page.
January 4, 2015 The Dodd City yearbook for 1976-1985 have been added, and can be accessed from the Education page.
January 1, 2015 We have added the Dodd City yearbooks for 1971-1975. All the yearbooks can be accessed from our Education page.
December 29, 2014 See the Fannin County Home Demonstration Club Cook Book compiled in 1933.
December 28, 2014 Learn about the POW camp established in 1943 that supplied farm labor to Honey Grove farmers during WWII on the Fannin County Historical Commission website.
December 18, 2014 Read about a parade held in Honey Grove in 1883.
December 12, 2014 We have added photos from the 1977 High Grove High School reunions for the classes of the 1940s. They can be accessed from our Education Page. Stay tuned for photos from the recent 1950s reunion.
December 4, 2014 We have found another article on the KKK in Honey Grove - this one from 1924.
November 20, 2014 We have added Scollard's 1899-1900 Ladonia City Directory, which provides detailed information on the citizens of Ladonia at that time. Other useful directories are on our Directories page.
November 19, 2014 Thanks to the Joyce family for donating the 1966 telephone book for Honey Grove, Ladonia, Windom and Wolfe City. See all our phone books at our Directories page. Contact us if you have any others we can scan.
October 21, 2014 We have added a page for the St. James Lutheran school.
October 14, 2014 Learn about a black college that operated near Ladonia from 1906-1947 at the website of the Fannin County Historical Commission.
September 25, 2014 The wealthy and fashionable ladies of Honey Grove wanted the latest in hat fashion, and the businesses on the Square competed to provide it. Read about this business in 1902.
September 24, 2014 Read about the beginning of rural mail delivery in 1902.
September 20, 2014 We have added new reunion photos for the Classes of the 1920s and the 1930s. Access them from the Education page.
September 17, 2014 We have added a few more photos from the Bralley-Pendleton school.
September 16, 2014 Read about the Fairview Baptist Church in Windom.
September 11, 2014 Learn about early photographers and see examples of their work.
September 6, 2014 Read an article about the Ku Klux Klan in Honey Grove in 1912.
August 2, 2014 See the new photo of the Honey Grove Square on our Home Page.
July 27, 2014 See photos from the presentation of the Texas Treasure Business Award to Smith Feed and Seed.
July 19, 2014 We have added a page for the Spring Hill Presbyterian Church, which was north of Windom.
July 17, 2014 We have added a photo from the reunion of the 1919 Honey Grove High School class which was held in 1959.
July 10, 2014 Join us on Saturday, July 26, at 10:00 a.m. on the Honey Grove Square for the presentation of the Texas Treasure Business Award to Johnnie Smith and Smith Feed & Seed.
June 14, 2014 We have added yearbooks for Bailey, Texas. See the Education page for these yearbooks.
June 10, 2014 Read about the community and school of Lone Star, located near Allens Chapel.
June 2, 2014 Issues of the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen from 1954-1959 have been uploaded to the Portal for Texas History website. These issues contain numerous articles on weddings and family reunions, in addition to articles on the polio vaccinations in Honey Grove and the first dial telephones. They are searchable, and will be an invaluable source of history for years to come. Issues for additional years will be added through the summer.
May 29, 2014 See our Education page for more newly added Dodd City yearbooks, those for 1944, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1959, 1962 and 1962.
May 28, 2014 We have added a wonderful 1920 Dodd City yearbook.
May 27, 2014 See newly obtained photos of the 1937 and 1938 Honey Grove High School football teams.
May 26, 2014 We have added a new photo of the Allens Chapel Methodist Church with members and names from about 1895.
May 25, 2014 We have added the Honey Grove phone book for 1928. Unfortunately, no addresses.
May 12, 2014 The Portal to Texas History has uploaded issues of the 1893 and 1894 Honey Grove Signal. We will be reviewing these newly available newspapers over the next few weeks and expect to have interesting things to add to this website, and well as many new obituaries to add to the Fannin County GenWeb site. Watch this space.
April 28, 2014 See a beautiful colored panoramic postcard which shows the Methodist Church, the old Honey Grove public school buildings and various homes. Thanks to Wally Black for letting us scan this postcard.
April 17, 2014 We have updated our "Old Bob" page with articles from the Bonham Herald.
April 14, 2014 Read about the Allens Chapel Methodist Church on the Fannin County Historical Commission site.
April 11, 2014 Read about local activities of the Ku Klux Klan in two articles written in 1994 by Tom Scott, then curator of the Fannin County Museum of History. Thanks to Larry Standlee for transcribing the second article.
April 7, 2014 We have added Fannindel yearbooks for 1980-1986, 1993-1994 and 1999-2000. You can access all our scanned yearbooks on the Education page.
April 2, 2014 Additional information on the Dial Presbyterian Church has been added.
March 26, 2014. See an old postcard of the Galbraith "town house" contributed by Ruby Grace Siebenthall.
March 25, 2014. Thanks to Ruby Grace Siebenthall for provided a photo of the 1932 graduating class of Honey Grove High School. Can you help us with the names?
March 20, 2014 We have obtained a new photo of the Dailey house on Hickory Street.
March 19, 2014 We have a new photo of the P. M. Price, Jr. home, formerly on the corner of 10th and East Market, and which in August 2003 was moved to Highway 34 between Ladonia and Wolfe City. Sadly, this house on Highway 34 was recently demolished and nothing remains.
March 18, 2014 See a new photo of the Floyd Rock Quarry.
March 17, 2014 Read about the construction of City Hall and see photos.
March 16, 2014 Thanks to Larry Standlee for interior photos of the Windom United Methodist Church.
March 13, 2014 Read about the Windom United Methodist Church, organized in 1887 and built in 1891, and see photos.
March 12, 2014 See a new photo of 6th Street south of the Square at a time when there were both horses and automobiles on the Square.
March 11, 2014 We are making progress in scanning the old records at City Hall, which is our current major project. The City Council Minute Book from 1914-1920 has been scanned and uploaded. We have uploaded over 19,000 pages to our flickr account. Many of these are the large number of yearbooks, but a growing number are city and church records.
March 8, 2014 See a newly obtained photo of the Black & Little Pharmacy.
February 26, 2014 See a remarkable early photo of the west side of the square, which shows the Smith Hotel on the far north, the office of the Herald (an early newspaper) and other early businesses.
February 25, 2014 Read an amazing article from the Dallas Morning News about a Civil War Veterans reunion in Honey Grove in 1901.
February 19, 2014 Read an interesting article about Honey Grove rural mail carriers that was in the Dallas Morning News in 1908.
February 18, 2014 Read an article about the 102nd anniversary of the Dial Presbyterian Church provided by Mary Alice Glover from the collection of her father Johnny Avery.
February 17, 2014 Thanks to Charles Yant for three historical photos of the Dial Presbyterian Church congregation. Do you have any old photos we can scan and add to our website?
February 15, 2014 Read a history of the West Lamar School by Claude Caffee.
February 14, 2014 See photos of the First Christian Church of Windom.
February 12, 2014 We have added the list of pastors of the First Baptist Church.
February 11, 2014 In 1898 J. P. Gilmer prepared a hand-written history of the Baptist Church. See his handwritten history and read a transcript at the bottom on the First Baptist Church page.
February 10, 2014 We are making further progress on our goal to scan the old records at City Hall. The earliest Minute Book of the Honey Grove City Council that we have located to date begins in 1880. This entire volume has been scanned and is available HERE. Some highlights of that book are available HERE. The second known volume covers the period 1902-1914 and is available HERE. The City Ordinances for the dates 1902 and 1934 were placed on a book, which we have scanned. The entire book is available HERE. The index to the ordinances is retyped HERE. Ordinances prior to 1902 are in the Minute Book, and may also be found in the Honey Grove Signal.
February 8, 2014 See photos of some early parades in Honey Grove.
February 7, 2014 We have added a new photograph of the Scott grocery to our Grocery Store page. It is at the bottom of the page.
February 6, 2014 Louisiana Erwin Strentzel, Samuel Erwin's daughter, left Honey Grove in 1849 to go to the Gold Rush in California with her husband John Strentzel. In 1892 she returned to Honey Grove for a family visit, and an Old Settler's reunion. We have recently obtain from the Bancroft Library, University of California, a photograph taken at the Old Settler's reunion. It is remarkable! Enjoy the photograph and a newspaper article about the reunion. We will be placing a copy of the photograph at the Bertha Voyer Memorial Library in Honey Grove.
February 4, 2014 We are developing a page on Cotton Statistics. We hope as more information becomes available we will have a good overview of the growth and decline of the cotton industry in Honey Grove.
February 3, 2014 We are attempting to collect information on Liquor Laws and Prohibition in Honey Grove. This effort is just beginning. But we thought you would want to read about this remarkable Temperance rally held in 1855 as reported in The Standard of Clarksville.
February 2, 2014 In 1897 William Jennings Bryan, a leading Democratic politician, visited Honey Grove and, according to the Honey Grove Signal of February 12, 1897, spoke to a crowd of about 3,000 people. In 1896 Bryan had made his famous "Cross of Gold" speech at the Democratic Convention, which won him the nomination for president. He lost to William McKinley. He then embarked on a national speaking tour, and one of his stops was Honey Grove. Read above this major event in Honey Grove in the Honey Grove Signal of February 12, 1897.
January 31, 2014 Trips to the State Fair in Dallas have always been very popular with Honey Grove citizens, who in 1910 and 1911 could take the train to Dallas to visit the Fair. Read reports in the 1910 and 1911 Honey Grove Signal about the Fair.
January 29, 2014 The Portal of Texas History has loaded the digitized versions of the Honey Grove Signal for 1910 and 1911. Anyone interested in Honey Grove history should enjoy reading through some of the issues. There was nothing too trivial to be reported, and much of it is quite interesting. One of the big issues for those years was the first installation of a sewer system in Honey Grove and a great debate about whether chickens should be allowed to roam free (by popular vote of 109 to 91, they were allowed to roam free). There is great detail on all the church activities, and the comings and goings of Honey Grove citizens. And one man mourns the death of his 37 year old mule.
January 28, 2014 The beautiful gate at fence at Oakwood Cemetery were constructed in 1910. We have just located the original drawing that was published in the Honey Grove Signal in March 1910. See it HERE. Go to the bottom of the page.
January 25, 2014 Read a wonderful article from the December 2, 1910 Honey Grove Signal written by Marshall Galbraith about Honey Grove in 1847.
January 24, 2014 When did the railroad reach Honey Grove?
January 23, 2014 See photos of cotton gins.
January 21, 2014 Read a very interesting and amusing article about early Honey Grove.
January 17, 2014 Louisiana Erwin Strentzel, Samuel Erwin's daughter, left Honey Grove in 1849 to go to the Gold Rush in California with her husband John Strentzel. In 1849 she wrote back to her family in Honey Grove and in 1866 she wrote a letter back to Honey Grove to her brother, Jack Erwin. Learn more about the Strentzel family.
January 15, 2014 See photos of a picnic at Beaver Dam and admire the women's hats.
January 14, 2014 See photos of blacksmiths and harness makers.
January 13, 2014 We have added a page on livestock in early Fannin County.
January 11, 2014 We have added a new article on hotels written by Alma Braudrick in 1984. See the bottom of the page.
January 10, 2014 We have added an article on the First National Bank written by Alma Braudrick.
January 8, 2014 See photo of cotton buyers and cotton weighers.
January 7, 2014 As you know, one of the major goals of the Preservation League is to scan the old Honey Grove city records, and that has been a major activity of the past two months. We are pleased that we have completed the scanning of the City Council Minute book covering 1902-1914, and it is available HERE. Analysis and partial transcription will follow at a later date, but for now we are just glad to have it scanned and uploaded.
January 4, 2014 Thanks to Mary Jo Barbee for providing original records of the St. Mark the Evangelist Episcopal Church for scanning.
January 3, 2014 Learn more about early automobile garages in Honey Grove.
January 2, 2014 See a photo of students of the Wall School.
December 31, 2013 We have uploaded all of the volumes of the Ladonia/Fannindel yearbooks that we have access to, a total of 26 volumes. We do not have the following years: 1949-1952, 1954-55, 1961-70, 1972, 1977, 1980-86, 1993-94, 1996-97, 1999-2000 and 2004+. If you have any of the volumes we are missing, please contact us so that we can borrow it and scan it.
December 30, 2013 We have added more parts of the Authentic History of Honey Grove. The parts published on October 15 and October 22 in 1937 were reprints from 1883.
December 29, 2013 Thanks to Mary Anne Thurman for more photos of the Honey Grove Class of 1956 reunions.
December 19, 2013 We have at last uploaded the entire set of West Lamar yearbooks (1949-1985). They are #7 on the Education page. Since we began the website in June, more than 17,000 pages have been uploaded to our flickr site, and that does not include the photos and information directly on our website. Thanks to all of our supporters. We wish you a very happy holiday season. We are looking forward to even more treasures in 2014. Keep us in mind if you are pulling out old photos and learning old stories during your holidays.
December 17, 2013 Thanks to Ruth Ann Johnson for the photo of the Donaldson Bros. grocery store in Honey Grove.
December 13, 2013 We are beginning to scan records from the First Christian Church in Honey Grove. The first item is the Sunday School record for 1912. It provides the names of the church members for that year, which includes many of Honey Grove's leaders. We have also scanned the 1913 record.
December 12, 2013 Allens Chapel Cemetery is now up on the Fannin County GenWeb site. If you have photos are additional information on those buried there, please contact us.
December 9, 2013 The Church Register of the McCraw's Chapel Methodist Church was discovered in an attic in Honey Grove in 2012. We are so fortunate that this volume has been saved.
December 7, 2013 Additional volumes of the West Lamar yearbooks have been added. They are #7 on the Education page.
December 6, 2013 We have scanned and added the Minute Book of the Honey Grove City Council from 1880-1889. We will be scanning additional city documents.
December 5, 2013 We have added from the One Hundred Years book the list of City Officials from 1880 to 1973.
December 4, 2013 We have added a 1978 directory of the First Baptist Church.
November 25, 2013 We have starting adding the West Lamar yearbooks. They are #7 on the Education page. Thanks to Lynn Patterson for providing a complete set of these yearbooks for scanning.
November 23, 2013 Thanks to Martha Milan Carter for providing the 1968 directory of the First Baptist Church.
November 22, 2013 See photos of the Chapel at Oakwood Cemetery which was destroyed during a windstorm in 1986.
November 21, 2013 On the night of the fire of the Presbyterian Church the session minutes of the Rock Point Presbyterian Church did not burn because they had been removed from the church for scanning. You can see this document HERE. Note that only one page of the Session Minutes are on this page. You can see the other 100+ pages on the link from this page. We have transcribed the pages with the names of communicants, etc. At some future date we will transcribe the Session Minutes as well.
November 17, 2013 In July 1955 the office of the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen on the square in Honey Grove was destroyed by fire, including all files of the old newspapers, a huge loss for the history of the community. However, John Black obtained a collection of the oldest Honey Grove newspapers dating from 1893-1925 (some years and issues are missing). Walcott Black has allowed the Honey Grove Preservation League to deliver these fragile old newspapers to the University of North Texas, where they will be scanned, digitized and posted on the Portal to Texas History. The first result of this project, 41 weekly issues from 1896, is now available, and we are thrilled with the result. You can browse the 1896 newspaper.
November 16, 2013 Marshall Galbraith was injured at the Battle of Mansfield. He was taken to a hospital near Alexandria, Louisiana. As he was recovering from his injuries, he was apparently assigned to work in the hospital. During that time he kept a Ledger, and he brought that Ledger back with him to Honey Grove at the end of the war.
At that time paper was in very short supply. Marshall Galbraith used the blank pages (and in some cases the blank sections of pages) for his farm records.
The hospital records date from April 14, 1865 and appear to be both inventory information and purchase information for the hospital. The farm records date from 1866. They include detailed information on purchases for the farm, as well as some information on farm employees, etc. Some pages are missing, having been torn from the Ledger. See the Ledger HERE.
Thanks to the Barbee family for sharing this Ledger with us. They have additional documents, which we will be scanning in the future.
November 15, 2013 See information about a Civil War regiment, Alexander's Regiment, which was formed in north Texas. Thanks to Mary Jo and Richard Philip Barbee for providing reunion photos for this regiment..
November 14, 2013 See an ad for the Masonic Institute in Honey Grove from the 1859 Clarksville Standard.
November 13, 2013 See a photo of the the 1951 Builders Class of the McKenzie Methodist Church at the bottom of this page.
November 10, 2013 Claude Caffee also provided photos of the Petty School.
November 9, 2013. Thanks to Claude Caffee for providing photos and information on the Whiterock Methodist Church, which was located 3 miles southeast of Petty. If you have additional photos relating this church, please share with us.
November 8, 2013 New photos of the McKenzie Methodist Church taken a few months ago by Bill Schaefer have been added. Historical photos of the McKenzie Methodist Church are HERE. See the church for yourself at an organ concert this coming Sunday, November 10, at 4:00 p.m.
November 7, 2013 We are starting to add the Fannindel yearbooks. You can access them from the Education page.
November 6, 2013 See photos of the early telephone office in Honey Grove.
November 4, 2013 Remember mimeograph? The mess and the smell? Mary Anne Thurman has provided more issues of the WarWhoop, the Honey Grove High School newspaper. These are from 1951-1953, and contain information on all grades. Some are a little hard to read, because they were mimeographed, but you might find some nice memories there.
November 3, 2013 Read about Honey Grove in 1857, written in 1893 by Old Citizen.
November 1, 2013 We have added maps of the area just north of Honey Grove, including Shiloh, Selfs and Green's Chapel. These maps contain invaluable information for families from that area.
October 31, 2013 We have added additional Honey Grove High School reunion photos. Most are from the newspaper. If you have better copies than the ones we have posted, please let us scan them. You can access them from the Education page.
October 29, 2013 The scanned copy of the McKenzie Methodist Church Membership Roster for 1905-1913 has been added. As viewers of this site are aware, the Preservation League wants to scan and eventually transcribe the old records of Honey Grove churches, and this is another step in that project. If you have time to help us scan or to transcribe these records, please let us know.
October 28, 2013 Thanks to Norma Nichols for a map of Honey Grove Square, 1956-1960.
October 27, 2013 As it is World Series time, we thought you might want to read an article about the 1896 Honey Grove baseball team, The Mud-Waders. (right side of the newspaper, zoom in to read it)
October 24, 2013 Read an article from 1931 about the merger of the First National Bank of Honey Grove and the American National Bank during the depression. (see the bottom of the page). And, if you missed it, read an article from later that year about the celebration of the remodeling of the First National Bank.
October 23, 2013 We have added an article on the history of the Honey Grove Golf Club.
October 22, 2013 Read an interesting article from the March 30, 1918 Bonham Daily Favorite about the German community of Honey Grove during World War I.
October 19, 2013 Read about the Honey Grove women who registered to vote for the first time.
October 18, 2013 Good news! We have found another Honey Grove Yearbook. Vera Mae Hall loaned us the yearbook for the Class of 1934, and it has been scanned and added. Thank you Vera Mae.
October 16, 2013 We are working on our lists of those from the Honey Grove area killed in World War I. Please let us know if you have names to add.
October 15, 2013 We have added three more Honey Grove telephone books: 1956, 1964 and 1964. These telephone books can be accessed from our Directories page.
October 13, 2013 We have added a new article on Honey Grove hotels and boarding houses.
October 11, 2013 Read an article on the Honey Grove Tabernacle written by John Black.
October 9, 2013 Thanks to Mary Anne Thurman for photos of the Class of 1956 reunions. Do you have reunion photos to share with us?
October 8, 2013 Did you know that Honey Grove once had a movie theatre that held 800 people? Read an article written by Alma Braudrick on Honey Grove Theatres.
October 7, 2013 We have recently discovered the Dallas Express, a weekly African American newspaper. The Portal to Texas History has issues from 1919 to 1924, and in many of these issues there is information on Honey Grove's black community, which we have partially transcribed. The issues for 1919 document the return of Honey Grove's black soldiers from the war. The events at the black churches and the black school are frequently discussed, as are social gatherings and Honey Grove's black students attending college. It makes for very interesting reading, not to mention the fact that we have learned about deaths and burials and obtained new obituaries.
October 6, 2013 We have added several issues of the Honey Grove High School newspaper, the WarWhoop. These issues are for 1942 and 1943. Please contact us if you have additional issues.
October 2, 2013 We had a professional photographer in town recently who took photos of some of our historic churches. See the photos he took of the Dial Presbyterian Church and St. Mark the Evangelist Episcopal Church.
September 30, 2013. We have added a history of the Vineyard Grove Baptist Church in Allens Chapel.
September 29, 2013. We have added the 16th Annual Report of the Honey Grove Public School, 1907-1908. This is a really interesting document. There were a total of 745 pupils (573 whites, 172 colored). The Library contained nearly 2,000 volumes. Music was an important part of the curriculum. "The people of Honey Grove know the value of good schools. Only such teachers as will cheerfully put forth their best efforts are retained in the Schools and when they have done this they are counted worth of all honor by the Board and loyally supported." Read more.
September 27, 2013 We have continued to post photographs of Honey Grove High School reunions. Let us know if you have additional photos or want to help us identify classmates in the photos with no names.
September 24, 2013 We have posted a history of the Petty Methodist Church.
September 23, 2013 The Honey Grove High School class of 1943 held its 70th reunion on Saturday. See a photo of this and previous reunions of that class. Do you have reunion photos you would like us to post?
September 22, 2013 Do you remember the Honey Grove train depot?
September 21, 2013 Read about a skating rink that operated in Honey Grove in 1882-1883. People from Bonham and Paris flocked to Honey Grove to skate and at a special carnival night people from as far away as Sherman and Texarkana came to watch the competition.
September 19, 2013 In June of 1931 the First National Bank in Honey Grove held an open house for its newly remodeled banking house and over three to four thousand people crowded on the Square to attend the event. In the main lobby the Rabbit Twisters Orchestra entertained people with peppy music. Twenty-five gallons of punch were served. The building was decorated with bowls and wicker baskets of cut flowers. And this was in 1931, during the depression. Read more HERE.
September 18, 2013 Do you want to conduct a Google search just on our site? Try it HERE, and try it anytime on our Home Page (at the bottom).
September 17, 2013 Read about how Honey Grove reacted to the news of the end of World War II in Europe on May 8, 1945. And help us complete the list of those from Honey Grove and surrounding communities (including Ladonia and Telephone) who were killed or prisoners of war in World War II.
September 16, 2013 See programs on Honey Grove High School plays. The Senior Play in 1920, plays given in Spanish in 1920, and a Japanese Musical in 1921.
September 15, 2013 Among the items from Mary Anne Thurman is a great collection of Honey Grove High School graduation announcements. Some are quite valuable as they contain the names of the graduating seniors. Some are very beautiful. We have not posted all of them yet, but you can take a look at those for 1910, 1925, 1928, 1930 and 1932. Be sure to look at the one for 1932!
September 14, 2013 Thanks to Mary Anne Thurman for sharing with us a number of items, including old newspapers from the 1930s and 1940s. See the article on Honey Grove's celebration of the end of World War II in Europe from one of these newspapers. She has also loaned us for scanning many old items from Honey Grove High School, which we will be posting in the coming week.
September 13, 2013 We are adding photos of Honey Grove High School reunions that were published in the newspaper. On the Education page, scroll down to the section past the yearbooks. We will be continuing this project.
September 10, 2013 Read about "Old Bob", the train that ran between Honey Grove to Ladonia from 1887 to 1944. Johnny Smith says that he remembers the turntable, which was located at the east end of Market Street. When the train arrived in Honey Grove, men would use long levers to turn the train around so it could return to Ladonia.
September 8, 2013 Read about former movie theaters in Honey Grove.
September 7, 2013 In early Honey Grove education was a priority for the town. One school, The Walcott Institute, was established in 1881. It was a coeducational school (boys and girls) and accepted both local students and boarding students. Some students came from as far away as Greenville, Commerce and the Choctaw Nation. The curriculum was impressive, and included spelling, math, science, history, Latin, German and bookkeeping. The founder of the school was J. S. Kendall, who later became Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of Texas and then president of what is now North Texas University. At the time of his death in 1906 the Fort Worth Telegram said that he was "probably the best known school man in Texas." We are fortunate to have the Walcott Institute circular dated 1883, which includes not only a list of students but a great deal about the school.
September 6, 2013 Read about the bustling town of Honey Grove in the 1880s when it had a thriving economy.
September 5, 2013 Read about the Church Bell which came to Honey Grove in 1857 and is now in the Baptist Church.
September 4, 2013. See photos of early Honey Grove schools.
September 3, 2013. We have uploaded the Ladonia Yearbooks (the Rattler) for 1947, 1948, 1953 and 1956-1960. Please contact us if you have any of the missing Rattlers.
September 2, 2013. Thanks to Larry Standlee for this article on the cyclone which hit Honey Grove in 1913.
August 31, 2013 See a photo of the 1924 Men's Bible Class at the bottom of this page.
August 30, 2013 All of the Windom yearbooks (except 1964) are now available online. If you have a 1964 Windom yearbook, please let us borrow it for scanning. Coming soon, Ladonia and Fannindel.
August 29, 2013 See photos of early grocery stores.
August 28, 2013 Read a history of Honey Grove written by William E. Floyd in 1923.
August 27, 2013 See photos of early Dry Goods Stores.
August 26, 2013 We are so sorry that our site has been down. It was of course beyond our control, and hopefully will not happen again. Many new items to come!
August 21, 2013 A history of the St. James Lutheran Church, which began in Honey Grove and then moved to Allens Chapel, has been added. This wonderful history includes a listing of all deaths, baptisms, confirmations and marriages of this primarily German congregation beginning in 1892 through 1984.
August 20, 2013 A photo of the 1907 Honey Grove High School class has been added.
August 19, 2013 The great-granddaughter of a former deacon of the Main Street Presbyterian Church recently donated a 1912 church directory. See the directory HERE. In 1912 there were 234 members of the Church, including familiar names such as Allen, Ballinger, Brode, Dial, Erwin, Hockaday, LaMaster, Lane, McCleary, Ohr, Trout, Walcott and many others. The financial statement of the Church showed an income in 1911 of over $8,000.
August 15, 2013 Our scanned Honey Grove Yearbooks have now all been uploaded. The whole set is about 7,000 pages! For the early years we have 1912, 1914, 1915 and then 1935. For the years where there are no yearbooks, we are looking for graduation announcements, diplomas or any other information for these classes. We are also missing 1945 - it is possible there was no yearbook that year because of the war. Please contact us if you have materials for the years we are missing.
August 9, 2013 Read about the first log cabin in Honey Grove.
August 6, 2013 Read about the Floyd Quarry and the stone used to build so many buildings in Honey Grove.
August 5, 2013 Learn more about the historic hotels of Honey Grove. And did you know that former president Taft once visited Honey Grove? We didn't.
August 4, 2013 Read about the history of St. James Baptist Church in Honey Grove.
August 3, 2013 Many more Honey Grove Yearbooks have been added.
August 2, 2013 See a photo of the 1938 Honey Grove Cheer Team.
August 1, 2013 We are developing our section on historic Honey Grove homes. We would especially like to include photos of houses which no longer exist. If you have photos of such homes, please contact us.
July 30, 2013 Honey Grove Yearbooks for 1980-1982 have been added.
July 28, 2013 A new page Directories has been added.
July 23, 2013 See a photo of the 1930 Honey Grove Rhythm Band (1st & 2nd grades).
July 22, 2013 A history of the First Christian Church in Honey Grove has been added.
July 20, 2013 The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1977 has been added.
July 19, 2013 The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1975 has been added.
July 17, 2013. Did you know that Honey Grove had a Municipal Band in 1926 financed by a city tax? Read about it HERE.
July 16, 2013. A number of articles and letters on Honey Grove and the Civil War have been added.
July 13, 2013. The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1974 has been added.
July 12, 2013. The Yearbook from the 1902 Honey Grove Shakespeare Club has been added.
July 11, 2013. A Cemeteries page has been added.
July 10, 2013 The Williamsom Blocker & Co. Souvenir Catalog, published in 1900, has been added. This catalog contains information on businesses, agriculture and homes in Honey Grove in 1900.
July 9, 2013. A 1923 issue of The Buzz, a Honey Grove High School newspaper, was added.
July 8, 2013. The Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1968, 1969 and 1971 were added.
July 7, 2013. A list of the Enlistees in the 14th Brigade, Texas State Troopers on Honey Grove on July 6, 1861 was added.
July 6, 2013. The Muster Roll of the Honey Grove Mounted Riflemen, dated June 29, 1861, was added.
July 5, 2013. In 1907 a booklet promoting Honey Grove and Fannin County was published. It contains information on agriculture, business, schools and many other topics. It also contains a number of photographs. This booklet, City Beautiful, has been added.
July 4, 2013. The Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1965 and 1967 were added.
July 3, 2013. The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1964 was added.
July 2, 2013. The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1963 was added.
July 1, 2013 The History of the Dial Presbyterian Church from 1846-1948 was added.
June 29, 2013 The Honey Grove High School Yearbook for 1962 was added.
June 28, 2013 The Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1960 and 1961 were added.
June 26, 2013 A photo of students from 1926 Honey Grove High School was added.
June 25, 2013 The Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1958 and 1959 were added. Also a Choral Club project from 1924.
June 24, 2013. A History of Education in Honey Grove, written in 1956 by Martha Trout Stroup, has been added, along with a link to the Walcott Institute Pamphlet from 1883. Also, the Honey Grove High School Yearbooks of 1956 and 1957.
June 20, 2013. Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1942, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1947, 1948 and 1949 have been added.
June 19, 2013. Honey Grove High School Yearbooks for 1915, 1935, 1940 and 1941 have been added.
June 18, 2013. See the Honey Grove High School Yearbooks of 1912 and 1914. And more yearbooks coming!
June 17, 2013. World War I Letters Home from Local Soldiers. Over 130 letters that were published in the local Honey Grove newspaper.